<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 10, 2006

If I Could Spin Around the World 

I'm recording Superman I onto DVD from HBO. Shhhh... Don't tell the authorities. (Authorities: If you're reading, don't worry. I do not intend to show or sell this recording.) (Shit. Now, I feel like I should change all of that to say I'm "watchin" Superman to avoid the whole thing, but then I think it's funny to keep all of this here. Shit.)

I have really been recording more than watching. I've been reading about Saussure for my class which meets tonight.

I'm also making lunch.

While I'm reading/making lunch/half-watching, Superman sees that Lois has died. He clenches his fist and looks so utterly defeated. He flies to space, spins the world around, reverses time, and of course, saves her.

Joe wrote a song about a year after Jeff died that has the lyric, "If I could spin around the world or say the proper word/If I could come and save your day or somehow raise the dead, I would."

The song used to make me cry, largely because it pushed a button that hurt, like pushing on a bruise; largely because it touched me, like showing me that someone really cared/cares about what happened, and shows that Joe was affected by Jeff's death and my grief even though he didn't know my brother; largely because it expresses a sentiment I share (the desire to reverse the past and make everything better).

I understood the Superman reference immediately even though I hadn't seen the movie for a long time. Seeing the scene today reminds me of the song.

Time to eat tacos. :)

-d
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com