<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Kate's Joint

Last night, Joe & I went to Kate's for dinner. I had a McKate: 2 non-meat patties, special sauce (not mayo & ketchup), lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions (grilled), on a whole wheat bun. I also had collard greens & some mashed potatoes with vegetarian gravy.

Not long after I moved to New York, my friend Stephen introduced me to the joy that is Kate's Joint on 4th St and Avenue B in the East Village. Kate's is a diner for vegetarians. They don't serve health food but comfort food. Their menu varies from huevos rancheros with home fries & a screwdriver for Sunday brunch to Shepard's pie to fried tofu with "Buffalo wing" sauce to vegetarian Jamacian meat patties to burritos to pasta. Everything is homemade. Everything is vegetarian, & most things can be made without dairy (not that I personally get anything without dairy). They also have a full bar & sometimes a d.j. in case you're looking for that sort of thing.

Kate's is like Heaven.

Joe, who lives exactly one block from Kate's, has been dragged there several times in the past year & a half. He doesn't hate eating at Kate's, but he doesn't love it there. He prefers their breakfast/brunch menu to their dinner & he usually orders the least adventurous item on the menu, whole wheat pizza.

I have stolen so many cooking ideas from Kate's. I rarely make vegetarian gravy at home because it's a pain in the butt, but the first time I made it, it was because I wanted to go to Kate's but couldn't afford it & didn't want to travel (about a 45 minute commute door to door). I modified my grandma's Shepard's pie, making it with either fake beef or grilled veggies at the bottom, after having Kate's Shepard's pie. I dream about their fake beef au poive.

Last night, I had Kate's french fries for the very first time. They are so thin, so crispy, so salty, so perfect.

Aaaaah, Kate, Kate, Kate. What you do to me!

--m




|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com