<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 17, 2003

Tiffany

I have a crush on someone from work. I was somewhat distraught about this. I love Joe, and I understand that it's normal to have occasional crushes on people who are not your significant other, but I still find the idea of having this crush a little scary. He speaks Italian, and he's very smart. What does it mean?

Last night, I called my friend Tiffany to "confess." Tiffany's reaction: "That's great! Cool! I love work crushes! Have fun with it!"

I felt instantly better.

Tiffany has a son, Alexander, who is in second grade. I remember sitting in the car with him once when she ran into the store to buy something. We were talking about different planets, and I told him that Mars is called the "red planet." Months later, on a whim, we asked Alex which planet is the red planet, and he said, "Marrrrs." We went nuts because he was only 3 & we didn't expect him to remember something like that.

Ahhhhhh...Tiffany. I met her at the Hippodrome when we both worked in the box office, but we didn't really become friends until she no longer worked there. Once, I babysat Alex while she went out on a date. We sat on her porch before she left for the date & smoked cigarettes by candlelight. She looked very pretty all dressed up with her curly hair & there was something charming about her being nervous about her date. I've known two men Tiffany has dated, and neither of them has been worthy of her charm, her humor, her spark.

Last night, she told me she's looking for a job & has been looking for 3 months (!!!). She's applied everywhere in Austin, TX -- even McDonald's (but they would never hire her because she's so overqualified). She said there are 50 people applying for each position, and they sometimes have "cattle call" interviews where 10 people sit in a room & get interviewed together or where everyone stands in line & hands in his or her resume & has to answer one or two questions. "We'll call you if you have the position," they say. Why don't they just have the applicants do a 2 minute monologue or read from sides or learn a dance combination?

So, Tiffany told me that she volunteered to reorganize the books in Alex's second grade classroom because she thought it would be fun & because the teacher hasn't had time. She figured it would take about 15 minutes, but she spent 3 hours organizing. She looked through all the books, re-read some of them, put them into a logical order. And, she said she found this book she read and remembered when she was 7, but she never knew the title. The book has a scene in which one child bites another child's cheek because she (or he?) thinks it looks delicious.

Tiffany, if you read this, e-mail me the title of the book.

--m
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com