<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 29, 2003

A Monday Morning Love List

I love scalding hot showers, so hot that it takes time to get used to the water, so hot that all the oil on your skin melts away. I love how scalding hot showers make you so sleepy you want to go to sleep while you're still in the shower. I think scalding hot showers are my way of returning to the womb.

I also love how my old roommate put her arm around Joe at the appetizers table at her housewarming party in Hoboken, which we went to Saturday night. She just walked over to him & put her arm around his shoulder so casually, like he is her buddy, and said, "What's up, Joe? Are you enjoying yourself?" I love seeing my friends embrace him casually like that. So many times, a friend's boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife is just a barrier between you and the friend. (I feel that way about my friends' sig others 99% of the time; I don't know about most people.) I love that Joe is friends with my friends & that they really love him. They don't just tolerate him because he's there with me.

Speaking of Joe, he played at an open mic last night at this place called the C Note on Avenue C and 10th Street (I think). We had to wait 3 1/2 hours for him to go on! We got there at 5:15 & he didn't play until about 8:45. Sucked! We should have gone home earlier. But, I loved this one girl named Grace. She seemed so shy & looked so dorky because she was wearing a skirt & a pretty nice blouse with sneakers--and not cool sneakers, but white walking shoes, with socks that were folded. And, she was very anxious to get up there & she looked really young. I thought she would be bad because of her outfit & her enthusiasm. What does that say about me? Anyway, she played two beautiful, fairly mellow songs & the joke was definitely on me because she was probably the best person I've seen at any open mic ever. She has an angelic and slightly jazzy and slightly gospely voice & she is quiet but powerful, kind of like Jeff Buckley. I want her to record her songs. I want this for selfish reasons because I want to be able to listen to her whenever I want.

I also love: Prince; giving up my seat on the subway; corny jokes; The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People (no joke; I'm reading it!); karaoke; my new, bulky shoes; when my cat runs laps from one side of the apt to the other in the middle of the night; that it was 57 degrees this morning; that I am having Easy Mac for lunch; that I get paid tomorrow; the ring my grandma gave me last Thanksgiving; the pilsner glasses Joe & I gave to Jenifer & Chris as a housewarming present.

--m




|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com