<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I'm looking for a new roommate because my current roommate is moving in with her boyfriend. She is/was great. She's a native New Yorker (which I am not) & very upbeat, active, cool, nice, responsible, considerate -- all the things I'm looking for now. It's a daunting task. I am asking everyone I know, and I put an ad up on Craig's list. Based on the Craig's list responses, I think I will find someone who isn't psycho, but I really, really, really just don't want to deal with it. I would rather just have it just fall together. I hate dealing with things like this. I hate the thought of having people over to my mostly unfurnished apartment to look around. I hate having to interview people.

Joe says we should look at it as a casting call for my new play, "The Roommate." He is very funny sometimes. And, he has offered to be there at my apt when I have people over so that I am "safe" if someone weird comes by.

I kind of like the apartment with no furniture. I have so much stuff that it's nice to see everything so empty. The room is huge with just a couple of end tables and some shelves. I need to buy a couch.

On another note, I am in the process of memorizing "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. You really don't know something closely until you memorize it. The poem is so musical. From the third stanza: "And the silken, still uncertain rustle of each purple curtain/thrilled me, filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before." It's so specific. So vivid. My plan is to use it as an acting exercise, like a monologue, but not really. Also, it's long, so it's good for the mind to memorize.

In the book I'm reading (for the book club, which will meet at my nearly empty apartment tonight), we are reading "Life & Death in Shanghai" by Nien Cheng. There's one part of the book where she decides to memorize passages from Mao's Book of Quotations and to remember poems she memorized when she was a small child, just to keep her mind sharp. I am slightly obsessed with keeping my mind sharp. Work is so intellectually unstimulating. I feel like I'm getting dumber every year since college.

--m
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com